[So it is obvious that wrong-doers, given that they do not fear the penalties imposed by the laws, are not] afraid of [the gods.] This [has to be] conceded. For if they were [afraid, they] would not [do wrong]. As for [all] the others, [it is my opinion] that the [wise] are not [(reasoning indicates) righteous] on account of the gods, but on account of [thinking] correctly and the [opinions] they hold [regarding] certain things [and especially] pains and death (for indeed invariably and without exception human beings do wrong either on account of fear or on account of pleasures), and that ordinary people on the other hand are righteous, in so far as they are righteous, on account of the laws and the penalties, imposed by the laws, hanging over them. But even if some of their number are conscientious on account of the laws, they are few: only just two or three individuals are to be found among great segments of multitudes, and not even these are steadfast in acting righteously; for they are not soundly persuaded about providence. A clear indication of the complete inability of the gods to prevent wrong-doings is provided by the nations of the Jews and Egyptians, who, as well as being the most superstitious of all peoples, are the vilest of all peoples.
On account of what kind of gods, then, will human beings be righteous? For they are not righteous on account of the real ones or on account of Plato’s and Socrates’ Judges in Hades. We are left with this conclusion; otherwise, why should not those who disregard the laws scorn fables much more?
So, with regard to righteousness, neither does our doctrine do harm [not does] the opposite [doctrine help], while, with regard to the other condition, the opposite doctrine not only does not help, but on the contrary also does harm, whereas our doctrine not only does not harm, but also helps. For the one removes disturbances, while the other adds them, as has already been made clear to you before.
– Inscription on Diogenes’ Wall, Fr. 20
Search the Blog
This is an Affiliate Site.KnownHost.com - Fast, Secure & Fully Managed Hosting
Thank you for your Support!
- Happy Twentieth! On the Importance of Healthy Emotions theautarkist.wordpress.com/2019/08/20/hap… 6 hours ago
- Elected official from #Washington stare wants all non-#Chrisian makes in the US killed! FBI is investigating ...… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 2 days ago
- Beginner's Guide to #Nationalism https://t.co/isQKnY1vFo 4 days ago
- RT @AteismoBrillant: " No usen condón " - Juan Pablo II en su visita en África, que causo miles de muertes. 5 days ago
- RT @ExmuslimsOrg: This #Eid Millions of Muslims celebrate Abraham, who, after listening to what we would consider today as schizophrenic de… 5 days ago