A virtue must be our invention; it must spring out of our personal need and defence. In every other case it is a source of danger. That which does not belong to our life menaces it; a virtue which has its roots in mere respect for the concept of “virtue,” as Kant would have it, is pernicious. “Virtue,” “duty,” “good for its own sake,” goodness grounded upon impersonality or a notion of universal validity—these are all chimeras, and in them one finds only an expression of the decay, the last collapse of life, the Chinese spirit of Königsberg. Quite the contrary is demanded by the most profound laws of self-preservation and of growth: to wit, that every man find his own virtue, his own categorical imperative. A nation goes to pieces when it confounds its duty with the general concept of duty. Nothing works a more complete and penetrating disaster than every “impersonal” duty, every sacrifice before the Moloch of abstraction.—To think that no one has thought of Kant’s categorical imperative as dangerous to life!… The theological instinct alone took it under protection!—An action prompted by the life-instinct proves that it is a right action by the amount of pleasure that goes with it: and yet that Nihilist, with his bowels of Christian dogmatism, regarded pleasure as an objection…. What destroys a man more quickly than to work, think and feel without inner necessity, without any deep personal desire, without pleasure—as a mere automaton of duty? That is the recipe for décadence, and no less for idiocy….
– Nietzsche, in The Anti-Christ 11
Search the Blog
This is an Affiliate Site.KnownHost.com - Fast, Secure & Fully Managed Hosting
Thank you for your Support!
- @JRD0000 @gregmk12 @gavreilly I don’t know or care, but for someone who’s blowing the patriotic trumpet so loudly,… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 22 hours ago
- @gregmk12 @JRD0000 @gavreilly He loves America so much that he went out of his way to marry a mail-order bride from… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 23 hours ago
- #MAGA hat ... made in #Mexico ... https://t.co/skeRKidTxT 2 days ago
- RT @SocietyEpicurus: An opinion, right or wrong, can never constitute a moral offence, nor be a moral obligation. It may be mistaken; it ma… 2 days ago
- #Ubuntu - a person is a person through other persons : Getrude Matshe at TED youtu.be/BzIyOtusDxE #African #philosophy 3 days ago